Tuesday, February 17

Dr. Candice Matthews questions status of Jazmin Perez after balloon release and conflicting statements

Harris County, TX – Dr. Candice Matthews issued a community accountability statement raising concerns about the status of Jazmin Perez following a balloon release held in her memory and conflicting public statements made online.

The balloon release was announced on September 20, 2023. However, official missing person materials continue to list Jazmin Perez as missing since late 2022, with the Harris County Sheriff’s Office previously requesting information regarding her whereabouts.
Screenshots of online messages have added to the confusion. On September 3, 2022, Jenifer Knighton responded to an inquiry about Jazmin Perez by stating, “We found her.” In October 2025, when asked again about Perez, Knighton replied that she did not know anything about her.

Dr. Matthews said these conflicting statements raise serious questions about whether Jazmin Perez is alive or deceased and whether any official documentation exists to confirm her status. She noted that if Perez is deceased, a death certificate should exist and would be filed in the jurisdiction where the death occurred.

Dr. Matthews also formally requested transparency, stating that if Jazmin Perez is alive, proof of life should be provided through a live FaceTime call arranged either with her or with the Harris County Sheriff’s Office. If Perez is deceased, she said appropriate legal documentation should be provided to law enforcement to prevent misinformation.

Dr. Matthews emphasized that the request is focused on clarity and accountability and said the community deserves answers.

Anyone with verified information regarding Jazmin Perez’s status is urged to contact the Harris County Sheriff’s Office Tip Line at 713-274-9191.


Discover more from Houston Stringer

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Leave a Reply